Many people have jobs where driving is one of their mandatory duties. Whether you drive a semi-tractor/trailer or a smaller, company car, the most important thing for you to do is to observe the rules of the road and be considerate of others. The following safety tips can be useful in helping you avoid work-related accidents while on company time.
- Always wear protective gear if it's required and use your seat belt at all times.
- Don't drive if you are overly fatigued.
- Observe the speed limit at all times. If no signs are present, go with the flow of traffic but maintain a safe speed.
- Always be aware of what is going on around you and act accordingly.
- Carefully observe the restrictions in construction zones, especially when they pertain to speed and passing other vehicles.
- Keep cell phones in the glove box or on the seat. Make sure all devices, such as GPS monitors are set before you put the vehicle into drive.
- If you are required to drive a vehicle you are unfamiliar with, carefully go over the maintenance and handling procedures before putting it in motion.
- If you work in construction zones as part of a crew, prevent work-related accidents by following the roadway rules for your area and avoid the main flow of traffic at all times.
- If your company offers classes on handling specific types of vehicles on the roads, take each class so you are aware of how to accurately handle the vehicle.
- When you are required to work on or near a highway, place barriers between your work zone and the direct flow of traffic. These buffers should be brightly colored and, if possible, have flashing warning lights.
- Wear brightly colored vests or place reflective tape on your clothing so that you will be more visible to traffic if you must work in a construction zone.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a crime and should be avoided at all costs.
So, if you're also the victim of work-related accidents, get in touch with a personal work-related accident attorney who can assist you in getting your rightful compensation and help you recover fastest.